Sunday, December 11, 2011

Back to the Beginning

Now that I look back, I can remember having symptoms when I was in grade 4.  Forgetting things, anxiety, unable to sleep, unable to concentrate, easily distracted.  I think I'm lucky A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. was unheard of back then. I can only imagine the various medications they would have tested out on me.  The anxiety, from what I can remember, was the most prevalent symptom throughout my grade school years.  Some days it felt like my brain never shut off.  Constantly thinking, worrying.  'What if this happened, what if that happened?'  And then there were the bouts of depression.  As a child, how do you explain that to an adult?  I'm not even sure I knew what depression was, and I'd bet there are adults today that don't understand it.  But somehow I made it through those years, graduated from high school, moved on and graduated from hairstyling school.  All the while, dealing with the same symptoms, wondering if there was something wrong with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment