Saturday, January 07, 2012

Living in the U.S.A.

In 2007 we moved to Oklahoma City. The Air Force posted us once again, and I was very grateful to go. It wasn't as much of a change as I thought it would be. Living in Oklahoma City is pretty much like living in any other city. But so much happened in the 4 years we were there. Yes, the weather was much nicer there, very consistently warm and sunny, and the tornadoes were exciting every spring. But I was still having so many symptoms. I thought they would just go away once I was on thyroid medication. I was taking the meds just like my doctor in Winnipeg told me to. So why did I feel like a bag of poop every day? Why was I in pain? Why was I getting these 'episodes' of confusion, forgetfulness, dizziness? And mostly - WHY DIDN'T ANYONE CARE?

I felt so amazingly alone. No one in my family knew anything about hypothyroidism. People seemed to think it was no big deal. 'Take your pill and you'll be all better'. When??? Why was everyone so aloof about it? If I feel like this, why is it just 'nothing' to everyone? Is it me? How do I feel so horrible, while everyone else looks at me like I'm exaggerating or pretending? I know it's real, so why can't anyone see it?

I must admit I really liked the medical care I received in Oklahoma. Although it wasn't a complete breeze, it wasn't that bad either. I walked into a doctor's office around the corner to see the doctor. I made an appointment for the following week. That was simple. My first visit with him was great. He said he understood completely what I was going through, he increased my medication dosage, and then he referred me to an endocrinologist.

STILL, it just kept nagging me. If I'm doing what the doctors tell me to, how on earth do I feel so horrible? So I started searching the internet and I found a chat site for people with thyroid issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment