Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Winterpeg...I mean, Winnipeg

Amazing!! Winter in Winnipeg is, hands down, the worst winter experience of my life. It's so cold that 'cold' goes there to warm up. But the good thing about Winnipeg is the doctor I found there. He was great!! He was just like my doctor in British Columbia. He understood that I wouldn't come to see him for a cold or the flu. There had to be something serious before I would go in to see him. Well, I saw him for almost 3 years before I finally worked up the courage to ask him about my symptoms. And he listened. Right then he said 'sounds like your thyroid'. OMG!!  An answer?!?! I was flabbergasted!! He sent me for blood tests and the following week he told me - "Nancy, your TSH is 9.2, which means you are hypothyroid." Of course I had no idea what he was talking about. Hypothyroidism? What's that? And what's the treatment? He explained the best he could what being 'hypo' meant, and he said I had 2 options. One was medication, two was medication and surgery.
Well, little did I know, but I chose the wrong one. I chose not to have surgery. Every day I think about that decision. Every time I get my blood tests done, I think about that decision. Every time I get an adjustment in my medication, I think about that decision. Every single day, I think about that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment