Sunday, July 29, 2012

Adrenals

Living a very stressful life will eventually wear out the adrenal glands. A stressful job, drinking coffee, energy drinks, consuming fast foods, alcohol, staying up late on a regular basis. All things that will wear down the adrenal glands, yet we do them. It's a common sight to see people with a coffee in their hand no matter what time of day it is. I've done it myself. Having that after supper coffee was a regular thing to do. Part of relaxing at the end of the day. Too bad I didn't know I was killing my adrenal glands. So how do I fix my adrenals?


Right now that's the number one question. Based on everything I could find out there on the www, there are a few things I can do to help my adrenals. Avoid caffeine and all of the things I have above, go to bed at the same time every night, find a way to de-stress every day, and take an adaptogen. 


According to Wikipedia, "An adaptogen is a metabolic regulator which increases the ability of an organism to adapt to environmental factors, and to avoid damage from such factors." 


Now, I originally had a list of adaptogens here, but I don't want to encourage people to run out and buy them. I have no idea if they will cause allergic reactions, change the way medications work, or if they will help at all. I mentioned them because they are discussed in so many websites in connection to adrenals.  

So, if doing those things for the next 6 months to 2 years will help my adrenals, and if healing my adrenals will help with my Hashimoto's Disease, how could I possibly not do it? (everything except take adaptogens, that is) 


edited to add:
Someone pointed me to this site. I think it's a good guide to adaptogens.
http://www.adrenalsweb.org/isocort-and-glandulars.php  






No comments:

Post a Comment