Friday, July 06, 2012

Muscles

Those who have been dieting have probably read that muscle burns fat. Sort of. Muscle burns more calories than fat does. Fat produces hormones that store more fat. So in my quest to gain muscle and burn fat, I have spent hours upon hours over the last 6 years lifting weights, doing P90X among other extreme workouts, trying to build up muscle. It didn't work. In 6 years have lost so much muscle on the T4 only treatment that I'm almost at the point of asking my 75 year old neighbour to open my jar of pickles. How embarrassing is that.

Today I noticed a difference. While doing some yard work, I could actually feel my muscles working like they should be. Weak, yes, but working. Being on NDT for a little more than 2 weeks, I'm actually starting to build some muscle back. I can't believe I didn't make the connection between T4 only treatment and the loss of muscle mass until after talking to other thyroid patients. I'm also not completely worn out. I don't think I could have made it through 2 hours of raking and shoveling gravel and dirt 3 weeks ago. Probably half an hour and I would have had to nap.

Now, I know some people do really well on T4 only, but I guess I'm just not one of them. It probably helps that I'm taking steps to repair my adrenals, which helps me sleep, which helps my cortisol levels, which makes my NDT work better, which makes me feel better. Brick upon brick we build things. Never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment