Wednesday, July 04, 2012

T4 or NDT

When I found STTM, I read the posts from the members. Then I checked out the links. I think I read them for 2 days before I phoned my doctor to get an appointment. Now, I'm pretty skeptical of things - thanks to the diet industry and their "testimonials", so I researched as much as I could. Unfortunately, there's just not a lot of information out there that didn't lead me back to the STTM website. Janie Alexander Bowthorpe has done an amazing job with STTM - Thank you Janie! I recommend everyone check out her website. There's actually so much to learn from that site that it's just not possible for me to put it all here. But I will say that healing the adrenal glands and getting the cortisol levels fixed is super important. Instead of getting into all that, I will tell you what I've done and how I feel.

Two weeks today, I started on NDT - Natural Desiccated Thyroid - A brand called Erfa Thyroid. I was on a total of 187.5mcg of T4 then switched to a much smaller dose of 30mg of NDT twice a day. Doctors do this because it's a change from T4 only to T4 with T3. I think it's standard procedure, but it's also an excellent way to do it. My doctor prescribed me 60mg twice a day, but because I've been on such a high dose of T4, I started with 30mg twice a day.

The first 4 days I felt ok. A little 'funny', a bit tired, but ok. I know from STTM that I needed to be on 30mg twice a day for 2 weeks to help my system get rid of the synthetic/excess T4. Days 5 to 9, I started to feel less joint and muscle pains. Days 10 and 11, I was tired. Very sleepy. So I rested often, napped often.

Now, to back up a little bit, I started some adrenal support on day 3 or 4 - I can't remember which. (My adrenal support includes avoiding caffeine completely, taking Vitamin C with bioflavonoids, Vitamin D, Iron, and Siberian Ginseng.) And I started making sure I went to bed by 11pm at the very latest. I also included melatonin at night to help me get to sleep. It's not perfect, but so far it's helping by leaps and bounds.

On day 11, I was so extremely tired, I decided I could probably increase my NDT the next day. So that's what I did. I now take 45mg in the morning and 30mg in the afternoon.  I know I'm still on a very low dose of NDT and I will have to have it increased, but I'm amazed at how much better I feel. I'm tired, but not exhausted, and about 90% or better of my body aches are gone. I know I'm not on an optimal dose yet. I've only just begun. So far things are looking up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment