Sunday, December 30, 2012

And Again!

I've been working on this specific post for a couple of days now. Mostly because it's a bit emotional, but also because I feel such disbelief that this is happening, still.

Previously I've mentioned how hard it is for family and friends to comprehend fully just what Hashimoto's Thyroiditis means to those who have it and those around them. It's hard for doctors to know everything about every single disease or condition, so it is completely understandable that family or friends will forget all about this disease during the busy days of the holidays.

So the part that I find so frustrating now, is knowing how long and hard I've worked to do the research on this disease, find out what works, then take the time to put it in this blog to share with those I know, only to be told "You shouldn't have changed your thyroid medication."  What???

Well, we can't correct everyone's ignorance, regardless of who they are.  That was a case of pure ignorance.  My family member that I quoted above is not educated enough to have an opinion in this matter.  It also doesn't change the fact that this information is openly available for people - including said family member - to read, yet it was merely tossed aside like yesterday's garbage.

We will always run into those people.  It's hurtful.  It's confusing. It makes you think "Don't you believe me?",
 "I'm your daughter/sister/brother/son, and you don't believe me?"  The truth is, some people, for whatever excuse they choose to use, are just too closed-minded.  Shame on them.  I hope they don't prevent someone from getting this information and/or getting the right treatment.  No one should have to suffer because a family member is ignorant. Every person on this earth deserves the best health care and treatment available.

So if you know someone with Hashimoto's disease, Hypothyroidism, or even if it's merely suspected. Share my blog. There's probably something that will help them.  If we don't help each other, who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment