Saturday, December 08, 2012

Do I Need Supplements?

If you've read my previous posts, you already know that I take supplements to help my thyroid medication work and to make me feel better.  I read many, many posts in the numerous thyroid groups I'm in, from people who take several different supplements.  Most don't feel better and can't really figure out why.

I think it's human nature to rush things.  We think "if I take all these, I'll be 100% by tomorrow or the next day".  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.  So when day 5 of taking 18 different supplements comes, and nothing is better, you have to stop and figure out why.  Which one(s) aren't doing anything? Perhaps some are blocking others from working, or perhaps there's just too much all at once and the body hasn't figured it all out yet. I've done that. I've tried too many things at one time to know what works and what doesn't.  Lucky for me, I hate taking pills, so one day I just stopped all of them except my thyroid medication.

So what I learned was, I didn't actually need them all.  I still take B5 (pantothenic acid) with meals because those with Hashimotos have digestive issues.  I take my thyroid medication split into 3 doses because my body requires it that way to function it's best. And I take adrenal support in order to sleep when I should and be awake when I should.

Now, there's many other supplements that advertise they boost thyroid production.  Perhaps they do and perhaps they don't.  But how will you know what works for you?  It's all so individual. Testimonials for products have to be read with a certain amount of disbelief.  Nothing works for everyone. There's no 'one size fits all' in medications or vitamins. We all know that. So it's very important to research what they are.  Just because an herbalist/Naturopath recommended them, doesn't mean they're what you need. The problem with the time-constrained office visit is that no one is perfect. When we see our doctor, it's very possible we've forgotten to mention a symptom or a supplement we're taking. Sometimes we have had a symptom for so long that we completely forget about it.  And sometimes it may be a matter of, if we've mentioned it before but felt ignored/brushed off by our doctor, we don't mention it again. This is something that makes a doctor's job very difficult.

So the best way to choose?  Do the research, ask your doctor about them, then test them out one at a time.  Some may take weeks to see the full impact. Don't be in a rush. Rushing things may hurt you more than help you, and some products may just be a waste of money.  So hang in there, be safe, and just know that you will get better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment